Raleigh Fire Museum
History of Histories
|The history of researching and recording
the history of the Raleigh Fire Department includes:
- 1936 Six-page history written by WPA writers.
- 1944 Six-page historical sketch written by
Sherwood Brockwell and others, published as commemorative booklet at
fire department event.
- 1951 Ladies auxiliary formed. Members create
scrapbooks through the 1960s, including photos and news paper clippings.
- 1970 City fire protection report published,
with five-page history written by local historian Elizabeth Davis Reid.
- 1973 Newspaper clippings compiled in three-ring
binders by Public Affairs for several years.
- 1984 First fire department yearbook published,
with detailed history written by Captain B. T. Fowler from sources
including research by Elizabeth Reid
- 2001 First unofficial web pages on history of
fire department created by Mike Legeros. Content is seeded with 1984
history and newer content written by Captain Peter Brock.
- 2002 Second yearbook published, with detailed
history that both reprints 1984 history and includes new history written
by Captain Brock history.
- 2003 Raleigh and Wake County Firefighting
published by Mike Legeros.
- 2004 Mike Legeros starts researching official
records at Station 1, and city records at City Clerks office.
- 2006 Elizabeth Reid Murray Collection donated
to Olivia Raney Local History, which includes extensive historical
information about the Raleigh Fire Department.
- 2007 Third yearbook published, with station
histories written by Mike Legeros, reprinted web-based historical essay
by Mike Legeros, and other text.
- 2008 Historical society organizes, led by
Battalion Chief Alan Walters and Historian Mike Legeros.
About / Contact